Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sarah Palin You'll Hear Tonight

I wish Gov. Palin, who's a heroine to me, all the best in her acceptance speech this evenging. I hope her entire family is there tonight to share in this historic moment. You'll learn about the real Sarah Palin if you scroll down and see her interview with the Anchorage Daily News.

Amazing. Here's what Hillary Supporter Michelle had to say about Sarah's wonderful speech:
"That was the most amazing, most tremendous speech I have been witness to. I stood up in my living room several times and rah rah'd her. Rudy kicked butt too! I truly can see her as President. Train under McCain Ms. Palin and then I promise to vote for you when you run. Good Lord I have goosebumps!!!

"My husband and father were amazed. My father said she needed to run for President! HA! Two southern, stereotypical men were exclaiming outloud at parts. It was kind of funny. My husband said "Good God, she is one of us! One of us is going to the White House!" I think he said it the best."

Michelle [Note to visitors, please pass Michelle's note on to everyone on your mailing list]


I have been backing Sarah Palin for this role for a year-and-a-half. I'll be posting the material below on my blogs tonight. To me, it reveals something profoundly important about -- and thus of little interest to the media -- her basic sense of right-and-wrong. As you'll see, she dislike people who are "holier than thou." She also rejects soundly the notion that any elected official must compromise his or her ethical principles. The following is from an interview conducted by the Anchorage Daily News.

ADN: Some Alaskans have, you know, defended Ted Stevens [Republican U.S. Senator] and Lisa Murkowski [Republican U.S. Senator] in particular, saying it is only natural in a small state for a politician to have prominent friends and even enter business relations with them. What do you think? Where should public figures, political figures draw the line?

PALIN: Well, maybe that is commonplace in a former smaller world of politicians in Alaska, but that is not commonplace in my world to be presented, you know, maybe amazing or even outlandish investment opportunities that turn us into rich individuals. ...

[Following is Sarah talking about various crooks and wheeler-dealers in Alaska]
I am not buddies with Bob Penney. I don't go to that Kenai classic fishery thing, you know, I don't go hunting and fishing with Bill Allen. That's not my world. So my perspective is, I guess this new leadership team, we wouldn't be tempted to become part of that world because that is not where we came from. I'm not enticed at all or excited about the idea of hooking up with some of the characters in the past that now are in trouble.

ADN: Do you think if they had adhered to a brighter line that they could have avoided some of this trouble?

PALIN: I think everyone has that individual and personal ethical compass within and I think that maybe in the past, some individuals, their compass was way off kilter and decisions were made based on a real skewed idea of what ethical activity would be. I am not claiming holier than thou and I am not saying that the people who I hire and surround myself with, that any of us are perfect.

All of us make mistakes ... but as long as I am confident that moral compass is right on target and we are not going to be tempted to do anything for self gain then I think that is what is going to best for the progress that we need here in Alaska. I can't say that was the case in the past in Alaskan politics. Obviously it wasn't or we wouldn't have high-ranking CEOs pleading guilty to bribery.

ADN: But I think you are also talking about the activities in the gray area -- the business relationships with, you know, a senator or congressman or a state legislator. Between someone with interests in the public process and the people running the public process.

PALIN: Right. Well, that's why I think we need more real and normal and hardworking and blue-collar Alaskans to want to run for office and serve in these positions that are making decisions.

Again, I will personalize this. I am not from that other world. My dad as a school teacher wasn't a mover and shaker developer making big bucks in the state of Alaska off of property development. My husband isn't that way. I am not raising my kids to be that way.... If you want to be in public service, it is being willing to serve Alaskans for the right reasons. It is having to have a servant's heart when you come into these positions. It's not to get rich.

http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/v-printer/story/9272372p-9187130c.html.

No comments: