Friday, September 7, 2007

ABOUT SARAH: I SPEAK FOR MYSELF AND NO ONE ELSE

ABOUT SARAH PALIN, HER POLITICAL FUTURE -- ONE FULL OF ABUNDANT PROMISE -- WILL DEPEND ON HER ACTIONS, WHICH MIGHT JUST AMAZE THE WORLD. I AM PLAYING A SMALL (BUT NOT INSIGNIFICANT ROLE IN HELPING ENSURE THAT FUTURE. HOWEVER, THE DEGREE TO WHICH ANYONE SUPPORTS HER SHOULD DEPEND ON SARAH AND NOT ON ME. I WILL SPEAK THE TRUTH AS I SEE IT, WHICH SHE DOES, AND WHICH ALL PEOPLE SHOULD DO.


In regard to the Sarah Palin effort, I've been associated with it for several months. I'll tell you a secret about the effort: it's a totally democratic undertaking. It's a true "coalition of the willing."

I sometimes list myself as part of the "National Coordination Team," but everyone who backs Sarah for higher office (and not just the vice-presidency) is a member of that national coordination team. Perhaps we should call it "the National UN-Coordination Team?"

I do not in any official sense represent Sarah Palin. I do not speak FOR her, but rather ABOUT her. What I say about Sarah -- or anyone or anything else -- represents my view. I will do my best to be truthful in anything I say, and I assure you I will be hard-hitting.

Obviously, I also don't speak for any other blogger, columnist, or individual associated with the advancement of Sarah's political career at the state and national levels. They can speak for themselves, and sometimes we will disagree, which is fine.

People who support Sarah Palin (mainly for the vice-presidency in 2008 and for the presidency at some later date) reflect a variety of viewpoints -- one is a liberal Democrat (!!!!) and the rest are mainly moderate, conservative, or libertarian Republicans or Independents. This is as it should be in any political movement that has at least a chance of success. If you're in a coaltion where everyone agrees with you, then you're in a losing effort.

There are currently about 45 bloggers and columnists who have affirmed support for Sarah. Some of these people who have the luxury of doing so are devoting full-time to the "Sarah Project." Others, including one sailor on active duty in the Middle East, are doing everything they can.

Presidential candidates favored by those who also back Sarah include: Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Tommy Thompson (who's withdrawn as a candidate), Ron Paul, and presumably others. There's no litmus test on this matter, but it probably would be a good idea for any serious presidential candidate to have Sarah's phone number on speed-dial.

The list of Republican candidates about whom I've said nice things is a long one. (If you want evidence of that, I'll provide it.) For those who care, I'm especially attracted to the presidential campaigns of (in alphabetical order): Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee, Duncan Hunter, and John McCain. I believe Hunter and McCain have almost no chance of winning, but I have tremendous respect for both.

I will support the Republican ticket in 2008 -- no ifs, ands, or butts. As I've been saying, in politics "half-a-loaf" is the equivalent of a seven-course-meal. Any candidate who claims to agree with you (or me) on every issue is not passing what the computer geeks call "the straight-face test."

Most experts (and serious pollsters) think it's unlikely the Republican presidential nominee will win in 2008. I agree with that assessment (sadly), but that will have zero effect on my own efforts to help ensure that the next President is someone other than Mrs. Clinton. Unless she stumbles badly --and unexpectedly -- she will be the Democratic nominee in 2008.

According to the Gallup Poll, the second-most respected woman in America is Obama-supporter Oprah Winfey. The person at the top of the Gallup list is Hillary Rodham Clinton. I'm sure you don't need me to outline the implications of those poll results.

As for support for Sarah, it's primarily a matter of the head and the heart. If at any time an individual would like to withdraw his or her support for Gov. Palin, they're of course welcome to do so. There's no one to stop them. They would suffer no recriminations from me (or anyone else I know of).

However, if anyone makes defamatory or false statements about Sarah, I will respond, as I imagine would many other people. Also, if anyone makes false or defamatory statements about presidential candidates, including Democratic hopefuls, I will also respond.

Stephen R. Maloney
Ambridge, PA

Note: I'll write later today about Mike Huckabee's campaign strategy and, at some point, about false statements made about Rudy Giuliani.

No comments: